Guthrie Clinic is an integrated, multi-specialty group practice that provides comprehensive, team-based care to more than one million people in the Twin Tiers region of northern Pennsylvania and southern New York. Guthrie physicians are leaders in the communities in which they live and work. They exhibit key competencies of quality and excellence within a collaborative environment, and are committed to making a positive impact in the lives of the patients they serve. Physicians who choose Guthrie are service oriented and demonstrate the values of trust, respect and integrity.
Chair of Medicine - The Guthrie Clinic
Lead the Department of Medicine across this multifaceted, financially sound and thriving health system.
Guthrie consistently receives awards for quality, patient satisfaction and innovation. Guthrie is located in north central Pennsylvania and south central New York, is a non-profit integrated health care delivery system that currently includes four hospitals, more than 300 physicians and 175 advanced practice providers, 32 regional provider offices in 23 communities, home health and home care services, and a research institute. Guthrie manages more than 1,200,000 patient visits a year. Combined with its strong reputation, Guthrie possesses a strong balance sheet.
Guthrie is a member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network, a national network of health care providers committed to better serving patients and their families through collaboration.
The Chair will serve as a key clinical leader and member of the senior executive committee within the organization. The Chair will support the CMO, other Chairs and Medical Directors in a matrix organization, in their efforts to achieve those strategic initiatives which are defined as critical to a thriving health system. This would include, but not limited to a framework of strategic and operational transitions related to population health and other value-based shifts occurring within the industry which focus on increased quality of care and cost reduction, enhanced patient experience and satisfaction metrics, pragmatic approach to fiscal decision making, while navigating the capitation model that exists within New York and PA, as well as developing a more clinically integrated system with local community physicians.
- One additional major key element of success will be the health system’s transition from being an excellent regional health system to become a comprehensive teaching hospital. The development of a vibrant GME program is one key part of a system wide effort to evolve into a comprehensive teaching environment.
- The key responsibilities of the Chair of Medicine is to ensure that the department functions in an integrated system of care, improve performance while realizing robust growth in breadth and depth of clinical programs, as well as enhance quality outcomes. A genuine effort to mentor, guide and support a broad group of physician leaders within the department is a critical expectation of the Chair role.
- We seek a strategic and progressive master clinician, and educator who will place a particular emphasis on ushering the department into a value based system, integrating the faculty and aligning community physicians, growing the department’s clinical services and fostering the growth of our established GME program.
As with any knowledge-based industry, Guthrie recognizes that people are our most precious resource. Therefore, our chief goal is to attract physicians who appreciate the idea of working on a team; who enjoy being surrounded by extraordinary colleagues who are all interested in providing the very best patient care possible.
Guthrie has established expectations for every physician at Guthrie, based on our core values of patient centeredness, teamwork and excellence. We provide support and mentoring in addition to opportunities for pursuing individualized career paths within the organization.
Guthrie's (main) Sayre campus is situated in a lush valley at the confluence of the Susquehanna and Chemung Rivers in north-central Pennsylvania. Located just a few miles from the New York border, the Sayre area is proximate to the major cities of the northeast: Philadelphia, New York City, Buffalo, Rochester and Niagara Falls--all are within 3-1/2 hours' drive.
The area is renowned for its maple products (syrup, sugar, candy) wine, dairy, apple and corn production.
30 miles south of the Finger Lake Region of New York State: Lakes, waterfalls, wineries and amazing 4-season recreation--1 hour from Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania
Easy driving distance to most major cities in the Northeast
Excellent schools and affordable housing; low cost-of-living. Safe place to raise a family.
Choice to live and/or play in several different communities:
- The Valley: Sayre and Athens, PA and Waverly, NY
- Elmira, NY (20 minutes from main campus)
- Corning, NY (40 minutes from main campus); international headquarters to Corning, Inc.
- Vestal/Binghamton, NY (30 minutes from main campus)
- Ithaca, NY (35 minutes north of main campus); home to Cornell University
Three regional airports within 40 minutes (of main campus in Sayre) with easy connections to New York City, Washington DC, Boston, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Orlando. In addition two international airports are approximately 2 hours away.
- Elmira/Corning Regional Airport
- Binghamton Regional Airport
- Ithaca/Tompkins Regional Airport
- Greater Rochester International Airport
- Albany International Airport
Email me this job description.