Medical Director, Stem Cell Research Program
The Medical Director, Stem Cell Research Program is accountable for developing the Stem Cell Research Program in this fully integrated healthcare system within the Hematoloty/Oncology Service Line that is housed in a new (2020) hospital tower with a 36-bed unit, state-of-the-art facility designed to treat very ill patients. The Medical Director, Stem Cell Research Program will work with a dedicated team of two experienced (non-transplant) physicians; nurse practitioners; a pharmacist; two nurse navigators who follow and monitor patients; a dedicated manager (transplant nurse); a pathologist; and a mental health practitioner, to expand, improve, and strengthen the service line operations and functions, across the local hospital and health system. The Medical Director, Stem Cell Research Program is responsible for setting standards and expectations of quality, patient safety, and other important outcomes. In addition, the Medical Director, Stem Cell Research ensures that all clinical activities comply with regulatory and accreditation standards. Finally, the Medical Director, Stem Cell Research Program exemplifies emotional maturity in his/her behavior and holds all service line members to the same standard.
RRH System Medical Directors have significant leadership responsibilities over both departmental functions and clinical service line development. The role is vital to the successful system coordination of peer review, credentialing, and education. These and other departmental functions facilitate and protect high standards of practice throughout many health system affiliates.
The Medical Director, Stem Cell Research is responsible for building on the already-significant 30%-40% market share of myeloma and lymphoma and the growing market share of leukemia within the Hematology/Oncology service line to advance the health system’s strategic agenda and to facilitate the future development of allotransplant and CAR-T services. By first building market share in malignant hematology, the Medical Director, Stem Cell Research will ultimately help build the client base in transplantation.
- Forge the future of a growing segment of Hematology/Oncology clinical care and help establish a foremost transplant program in the region, incorporating the newest advancements, including allotransplant and CAR-T therapies.
- Set strategic direction for the department by the recruitment and retention of service line providers and the various clinical skills necessary to fulfill the mission of the service line and its programs.
- Advocate for the capital, technology, equipment and support needed to effectively develop a funding mechanism for the startup phase of transplantation.
- Participate in the evaluation and recommendation for acquisition of new technologies and procedures to stay up-to-date with the latest standards of care.
Quality and Patient Safety
Develop relevant quality and performance metrics for the department and a method of tracking, trending, and reporting them. Hold departmental members accountable for individual quality performance.
- Oversee the quality of health care delivered throughout the service line in all affiliates and across the continuum of care. Oversee the quality and appropriateness of health care provided, and report and resolve any identified deficiencies in the quality of patient care.
- In partnership with department chair, ensure ongoing evaluation of department members’ competencies and performance of clinical duties in relation to the scope of practice, credentials, and privileges of each individual, such as focused (FPPE) and ongoing professional performance evaluations (OPPE).
- Ensure completion of all provider performance assessments, e.g. ongoing and focused professional performance evaluations.
- Expand the scope of quality metric and process-driven care throughout the service line.
- Investigate and mitigate complaints and grievances about the health care provided in the department or related to the actions of any department member; demonstrate a commitment to achieving high patient and team member satisfaction.
Additional position details
eaching and Education
- Provide oversight, design, and direction to the teaching functions of the department related to morbidity and mortality reviews, grand rounds, etc.
- Ensure a program of medical education is implemented in continuing hematology/oncology and transplant specialties.
- Collaborate with FACT accreditation to [secure/ensure continuance in] certification for stem cell/CAR-T physicians.
- Exemplify qualities of high emotional intelligence such as effective listening, communicating, team building, collaborating, and conflict management skills.
- Function as a change agent to motivate and drive programmatic innovation, collaboration, and clinical integration by recognizing intrinsic motivation factors, achieving high value outcomes, etc.
- Practice excellent communication skills that build transparency, trust, openness, rapport, and a culture of participative problem solving.
- Demonstrate a high degree of self-regulation, self-awareness, and empathy.
- Commit to ongoing development of own leadership skills.
- Build a service line culture and environment of collegiality, unity, friendliness, respect, and equality.
- Contribute to the formulation of the service line’s strategic plan.
- Collaborate with key regional/state/national provider organizations, business groups, patient advocacy groups, and governmental agencies.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned when appropriate.
- Implement and design evidence-based team-based care models.
- In conjunction with his/her operational partner, provide input into the service line budget, monitor the financial performance, and advocate on behalf of the department’s strategic growth goals to ensure achievement of expected financial performance.
- Partner with other operational and clinical leaders to develop utilization management strategies that improve the efficiency and cost of care.
Characteristics and Skills:
- Ability to work in an integrated health system with a highly complex, matrixed environment.
- Ability to serve as a representative for all areas of impact regarding stem cell research.
- Demonstrated track record of transparency.
- Possesses excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a diverse set of personalities.
- Demonstrated track record of building consensus.
- A strong leader who is adaptable and has a collaborative management style.
- High level of collaboration, team building, and inter-disciplinary skills needed to accomplish complex activities.
- Advanced interpersonal skills to develop effective teams and manage, direct, and coordinate team activities.
- Demonstrated political business savvy to advocate for resources.
- Ability to influence, negotiate, and motivate collaborators.
- A readiness and eagerness to move forward from the outset.
- Physician, MD, DO
- MBA, MHA preferred
- Licensed in NYS and practicing
- Board Certified in Specialty or Subspecialty
- High level of collaboration, team building, and inter-disciplinary skills needed to accomplish complex activities
- Advanced interpersonal skills to develop effective teams and manage, direct and coordinate team activities
- Ability to influence, negotiate and motivate collaborators
- Distinctive opportunity to build and develop a program.
- No restrictive infrastructure or outdated program encumbrances.
- Entrepreneurial position offering growth and agility.
- Existing patient base on which to build.
- Field of rapid growth and change; CAR-T will require leadership choices.
- Partnership with St. Lawrence Health System.
- Opportunity to carve a niche and make a difference.
Procedure for Candidacy
The selected candidate will be offered a competitive compensation package that includes:
- Competitive Compensation, Relocation, and Potential Bonus Opportunity.
[NOT SURE WHAT THE CTA IS/SHOULD BE]
INTERESTED CANDIDATES, PLEASE APPLY DIRECTLY to HARTZ Search below:
Qualified candidates, please submit your current resume. Applications will not be considered without a resume.
Please direct all applications: https://hartzsearch.com/open-position/chief-medical-officer-new-york/